Wednesday, December 12, 2012

The Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap 2012

I first learned about The Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap from my friend Abi just after their first one wrapped up.  We promptly signed up to receive more information come the end of 2012.

Here's how it works: you sign up, make a small donation to Cookies for Kid's Cancer, OXO matches your donation and sends you a super cool cookie spatula.  Then you get the names and address of 3 food bloggers to send your cookies.

I was set on sending out Turtle Cookies, but after I made them I was underwhelmed.  I decided to try a recipe I saw in Everyday Food - Peppermint Chocolate Sugar Cookies.  Much better!



Ingredients

2 1/2 c all-purpose flour
1 T baking powder
1/2 t salt
1 c unsalted butter, softened
2 c sugar
1/4-1/2 t peppermint extract
1 large egg
1/2 c mini chocolate chips
1 c confectioners' sugar
3-5 T heavy cream (I used whole milk)
4-5 candy canes, crushed for decorating

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Combine flour, baking powder and salt.  In a large bowl, using a mixer, beat butter, granulated sugar, and 1/4t peppermint extract on medium-high until pale and fluffy, 3 minutes.  Beat in egg, then flour mixture on low.  Stir in chocolate chips.

Roll dough into 1 1/2 inch balls and place 2 inches apart on parchment-lined baking sheets.


Bake until edges are lightly golden, about 12 minutes.  Let cool on sheets on wire racks 5 minutes, then transfer cookies to racks and let cool completely.

Stir together confectioners' sugar and enough milk/cream to make a spreadable glaze (add more extract if desired).  Spread a thin layer of glaze on top of each cookie and sprinkle with candies.  Let dry completely on racks.  Makes about 2 dozen cookies, but I got 3 dozen + 3 decent-sized cookies.




The hardest part was finding the perfect container/shipping box combination.  I tried to fit them into the small flat rate box but it wasn't happening.  So I used regular shipping boxes from Target.





I got lots of questions at the Post Office since I had the Cookie Swap Logo all over them.  The Post Office lady was very impressed and wished she was in on all the fun.


I received my first batch from Jenna at Little Kitchen, Big Flavors.  I believe they are called "Snickers Surprise"? It doesn't really matter what they were called - they were good.  I think they lasted a day and a half (since I live with the cookie monster).


Then I got a package from Abbey at Munchin' Mel.  They were a minty chocolate chip cookie, not too sweet.  These were good as well!


And lastly, some lemony glazed cookies from Jackie at La Casa de Sweets - YUM!

This was a great experience and I'll be looking forward to it again next next! Thank you Love and Olive Oil!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Lauren, for the delicious cookies! These were the first cookies to arrive, and they made my day. I agree that figuring out how to best ship the cookies was a challenge, but I want you to know your package arrived in great shape! On another note, I received lemon cookies from Jackie too! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Lauren for your delicious cookies. The peppermint added such a refreshing kick. It was so nice to "meet" you through this cookie swap! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete