Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Tuesdays with Dorie: Pecan (Walnut) Sticky Buns

Warning: This recipe is not for someone on a diet, or someone even THINKING about going on a diet.  There are at least 4 sticks of butter in these sticky buns (I lost count after 4).  I'm sure the name came from the sweet gooey stickiness surrounding the pastry, but I really think it's because you may as well stick the butter right on your buns!


The recipe begins with a Brioche dough, a sweet flaky bread pastry.  I was unfamiliar with this bread and the technique of folding the butter into the dough.  I didn't take many pictures of the process, because, well, it wasn't pretty.  I think I added about 1/2c more flour during the time I was supposed to hear the "slapping" of the dough.  It would slap the sides of the bowl as soon as I added the flour and then it would stop?



This recipe is also not quick.  The dough has 2 rises, one of which should be overnight, and the buns need time to rest, freeze and rise again.  Goodness these buns are high maintenance!





And My Critic says:  WHEN are they going to be done?! Haha, finally he got to taste and of course says he prefers a cinnamon roll.  UGH - I'm so tempted to whip out Pillsbury next time for him.  I don't know if I'd make these again, but I'm glad I did.  I still have one log of dough to use for house guests.

Was anyone brave enough to calculate the calories?

Well, I'm leaving this week with a HUGE appreciation for anyone that makes these from scratch.  And if I haven't talked you out of making them, jump over to Eat Drink Man Woman Dogs Cat by Lynn and Cookies on Friday by Nicole for the recipes.

12 comments:

  1. shhhh.. you are not to calculate calories for this recipe.. its better that way!! i really enjoyed this recipe.. maybe because it was my first time making any sort of rolled buns!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your buns looks delicious ! ... Unfortunately I did not like the sticky topping (shame on me!) - as for the calories: I've cheated on the butter :-) but the brioche was still yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the challenge (and have learned to accept some failures) when it comes to a good-quality sticky bun recipe... nicknamed them "stickler" buns for their demanding attention-to-details "personality" ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They really are high maintenance! I definitely think they're better than Pillsbury though :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do not even want to think of how many calories one of these has! It has to be sky high. Your buns look great, I don't think I will go through all the trouble again. they were so so good but the work involved was heavy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your sticky buns look fantastic! What calories? Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the walnut touch! These were so good and yours look great :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think there is going to be anything in this book for a dieter!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What calories? This is supposed to be a treat. Treats don't have calories...
    Lovely job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. High maintenance is absolutely right! Your's look great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. they were so delish! not sure if they were worth the trouble, but definitely worth eating ;) thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks great! Definitely worth the trouble and calories, but not regularly!

    ReplyDelete