Thursday, May 17, 2012

{SJS} Food Swap Recipes - May 2012

I am so excited for tomorrow.  A lot of behind-the-scenes work and organization to organize the food swap is finally going to pay off.  Please help spread the word!


Here you will find the recipes I used for a couple of my food swap items. I tried to keep it seasonal and use Strawberries and Rhubarb.  If you ended up with either one (or both), please let me know what you thought!



Strawberry Honey Butter

(Recipe from Half Baked blog)

Ingredients:
1 pint strawberries, hulled
3 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, or to taste
1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, softened




Here's the honey I used - from Pittstown, NJ
Preparation:
In a food processor purée the strawberries and force the purée through a fine sieve into a saucepan. Add the honey and the lemon juice and boil the mixture, stirring, for 3 minutes, or until it is thickened. Let the strawberry mixture cool to room temperature. In a bowl cream together the butter and the strawberry mixture. (I used my immersion blender)  Let the butter stand, covered, in a cool place for 1 hour to allow the flavors to develop.  Keep refrigerated and use within 2-3 weeks.


Rhubarb Liqueur 

(Recipe from Cooking Light April 2012)


Ingredients:
6 T sugar1/4 c. water
1 1/2 pounds rhubarb, coarsely chopped (I used food processor)
3 c. vodka
1/2 c. Grand Marnier

Preparation:
Bring sugar and water to a boil in a small saucepan, stirring just until sugar dissolves; remove from heat. Cool.  Place coarsely chopped rhubarb in a wide-mouth jar.  Add vodka, Grand Marnier, and cooled sugar syrup; stir.  Screw lid on tightly; let stand at room temperature for 2-3 weeks or until all the color leaks out of the rhubarb.  Strain mixture through a coffee filter lined-sieve over a bowl; discard solids.


Rhubarb still pinkish, Day 1

3 weeks later - rhubarb is almost clear and ready to be strained

Look at that color!


I chilled some in the freezer for a quick taste.  It's some strong stuff, I'm not gonna lie.  I probably wouldn't drink it alone, but all the flavors are well-represented.  Mix it with club soda and lemon for a nice refreshing cocktail or maybe some fresh mint, muddled strawberries and simple syrup :)


No comments:

Post a Comment